X Games local, regionalized marketing highlights everything X Games and the action sports lifestyle (throughout the Rocky Mountain Region) leading up to Winter X Games Aspen. The series promotes the event to local markets to generate buzz for the Games.
- Denver’s alternative weekly newspaper with weekly readership of 275,000
- Print Ad featured on events page of 12/22 and 12/29 issues
- Lifestyle magazine, 10k distributed in Boulder and Fort Collins, CO
- Full page print ads featured in first 5 pages of mags in December and January. Part of the January rooster giveaway & event preview (1/4 page ad) and event recap in March.
- Plum ran Consumer Marketing spots Jan 1 through the event
- Denver’s leading Modern Rock station.
- Two week run over 300 live/pre-recorded WXA spots (over $150k in promo value).
- Number-one radio station in Utah.
- 284 paid :60 spots run between December 19, 2011 and January 15, 2012.
- Ran “Who Needs VIP When you can be XIP” promotion that included:
- 4 live 10-second promo liners per day M-F 6a-12m announcing the Winter X Games & XIP contest, directing them to X96.com for details.
- XIP contest promotional banner on X96.com home pages with landing page, video, info, and links to lodging and ticket purchase points.
- XIP contest banner & link included in email blast to X96 subscriber database (42,000+).
- Facebook posts announcing the Winter X Games and XIP contest link.
- ESPN WInter X Games announcement & link on www.x96.com events page.
- The voice of the Roaring Fork Valley with support from NRC sister stations throughout CO.
- Weekly athlete interviews and giveaways the six weeks leading up to the event.
- Live broadcast from Winter X.
ESPN Radio Denver
- ESPN Radio affiliate in Denver.
- Ran giveaways including a trip to Winter X.
- Broadcasted live from Buttermilk during WXA ‘12.
ESPN Radio Spokane
- ESPN Radio affiliate in Spokane, Wash.
- Ran trip giveaway and tune-in messaging.
Cumulus Radio Grand Junction
- On-air promotion throughout Grand Junction and the Western slope of CO on all four Cumulus stations the three weeks leading up to Winter X, including athlete interviews and on-air giveaways.
- On-air promotion throughout Summit County, Colorado the three weeks leading up to Winter X, including weekly athlete interviews and on-air giveaways.
KBUT Crested Butte
- On-air promotion throughout Crested Butte, Colorado during the month of January, including athlete interviews and on-air giveaways.
- Korea Daily is the number one online and print destination for Korean Americans
- Two banner placements on koreaydaily.com (nationwide) and one IP targeted banner placement for Colorado visitors for the month of January
- Estimated impressions: 1,906,000 / 4 weeks
- A leading digital lifestyle publication catering primarily to males aged 12-40 with daily e-mails on the hottest events, new restaurants, bars, fashion, etc in their local market
- X Games featured in dedicated “Allied E-mail” devoted exclusively to X Games and sent to over 20K Denver subscribers (PDF attached)
- X Games featured in three “e-mail takeovers” including prominent banner placements and a custom 50 word allied listing encouraging event attendance reaching over 240,000 readers
- Additional promotion through a series of 50 word allied listings and companion banners reaching over 200,000 readers
- X Games trip giveaway promoted via “e-mail takeover” send to over 2M subscribers across the United States
- Denver’s weekly alternative newspaper’s website (over 600,000 unique visitors/month, over 3.5 million page views/month)
- WXA ’12 promo presence through nine web banners and three email blasts
- Aspen Chamber and Resort Association promoting Aspen events and tourism
- Featured X Games banner on Aspen’s TripAdvisor main page
- Featured X Games banner on ACRA home webpage
- Included X Games information in November, December and January Destination Newsletters sent to over 65K opt-in subscribers monthly in the Colorado region (December example attached)
- Primary website for lodging bookings in Aspen
- Prominently featured X Games on homepage and custom micro-site
- Primary website for Aspen ski/snowboard resort and lift ticket information
- Prominently featured X Games on homepage and custom micro-site
- Jackhammer street reps hit the areas of University of Colorado at Denver; University of Northern Colorado (Greely, CO); University of Colorado at Boulder; Colorado State University (Fort Collins, CO). Reps distributed over 50,000 pieces of marketing collateral to students all over campus and in surrounding high-traffic areas and lifestyle hangouts. They hung posters in high-traffic areas including dorms, student unions, bookstores, dining halls, classrooms and the like. In addition, reps targeted local events and student hangouts such as ski/snowboard shops, bars, music stores, cafes, restaurants, etc. They stocked local bars with X Games branded coasters.
- An additional online campaign included hired bloggers who posed as members of the general public in chatrooms and forums and sparked conversations about X Games. These posts reached tens of thousands of users on site such as TransworldSnowboarding.com, Snowboarder.com, Youtube.com, PowderMagazine.com and many others.
Spec Guide distro details
- 30,000 spectator guides including event information and sponsor ads were distributed in all of Colorado and Utah from 1/9 – 1/23.
- Banners and posters in offices and vans throughout January.
Grand Junction Airport
- Banner hanging in baggage claim area, flyers in lobby stand.
- Displayed throughout January.
City of Aspen street banner
- Main street banner hung 2 weeks prior to Winter X right at the start of town.
College Radio and SBD teams
- Sent an email blast to snowboard teams, Greek Life representatives, student life centers and radio stations to promote the College X Pass.
- Collateral sent to Freeriders Union of Colorado College and CSU Snowboard Team.
- Radio promo with UNC radio, collateral sent for their street team and concert.
- Worked with Event Development to host an amateur rail jam on-site at Winter X, including a USASA Local Series Qualifier, Shop v. Shop jam session and a USASA Sanctioned Rail Jam.
- Hosted 350 kids from the Aspen and Roaring Fork Valley School district on Thursday, Jan 26th for Kids’ Day.
Recap Report: December 3rd - February 10th
Over the course of the Road to X the blog saw an increase of more than 4,500, followers, 28,280 page views and 18,800 visits.
Each Road to X video was featured as the main video the day of launch. The three videos have combined for more than 104,700 views.
Road to X: Sebastian Toutant & Bobby Brown (28,540 views)
Road to X: Chris Burandt (43,814 views)
Road to X: Torin Yater-Wallace & Snow Park Technologies (32,363 views)
When mentioning the promotion on Twitter we used #roadtox. Over the two months we had 17 tweets which resulted in more than 247 retweets and 30 favorite. Tweets featuring the hash tag included mobile uploads or links back to a post on the Tumblr blog.
Facebook was used as a support platform where we posted nine pieces over the two months. The posts accumulated 8,996 likes, 282 comments, 550 shares and reached more than 1,233,311 people. The multimedia content consisted of galleries, three webisodes and mobile uploads. All galleries and webisodes linked back to the Tumblr blog.
XGames.com hosted the first and third webisode for the Road to X video series. These social-supported platforms received an extra boost by living on ESPN.com’s main action sports hub.
Road to X: Bobby Brown, Seb Toutant
Road to X: Aspen